A lot has happened in the past two months since our last post: we’ve been quite busy trying to fix the list of blockers for Instantbird 1.2!
We’ve again joined Mozilla as part of their application for Google Summer of Code. You can see some of our ideas on Mozilla’s wiki. (We should find out soon whether Instantbird will be doing any projects or not this year!)
- The tab completion algorithm has been made smarter:
- It now prefers the last person to have pinged you if there are multiple possible completions.
- Addressing multiple participants is now handled gracefully.
- There is now a reading position marker to show which messages arrived since you last viewed a conversation.
- Updated to Mozilla 11.
- A few crashers have been fixed.
What’s Coming Soon / Being Worked On?
- Minor IRC fixes: see known IRC bugs (in particular, better error handling).
- Upgrade to libpurple 2.10.3.
- Other Instantbird 1.2 blockers!
What’s this I hear about Thunderbird integrating instant messaging code from Instantbird?
You may have heard that instant messaging was recently added to Thunderbird. This work was done by our very own Florian Quèze! Don’t panic though! This doesn’t mean that Instantbird development is stopping, we strongly believe there is a place for both a standalone instant messenger and a more integrated approach with email. This is a mutually beneficial relationship between Instantbird and Thunderbird where we share code, benefit from more testing and get a set of new people — and ideas — involved in making instant messaging easier and more about how you — the user — wants it!
For those curious, approximately one-third of the Instantbird codebase is now in Thunderbird’s Daily and Earlybird builds. Feel free to give it a try and file any bugs in Mozilla’s bugtracker. Currently it looks like this feature will likely appear in Thunderbird 15.
We’re getting close to the Instantbird 1.2 release and we think there’s been a lot of great improvements that will make it easier and more natural to instant message with your friends, family, co-workers and others!