Following the release of Instantbird 1.0, we’ve received a variety of great feedback (if you haven’t read some of our other posts: we love to receive feedback, although we might not always agree) via our contact email address, our IRC channel, our bug tracker, Twitter and what ever other ways there are to communicate with us. We’d like to take some time to respond to some of the popular requests we’ve got (or at the very least, point you to the bug where you can follow any progress).
Recently users started to get an error (“Error: Unknown reason”) while attempting to connect to ICQ. This is being tracked in bug 582. This will occur using Instantbird 0.2 or 0.3a1pre nightly builds, if you are not seeing this error then the rest of this post can be disregarded.
Luckily there is an easy work around for now:
- Open the account manager (“Tools” > “Accounts”)
- Select your ICQ account and click “Properties”
- On the “Advanced Options” tab
- change the “Server” to “login.icq.com”
- deselect “Use SSL”
- deselect “Use clientLogin”
Instantbird 0.2 uses the multitouch feature of Macbook touchpads in conversation windows:
- Pinch in or out 2 fingers to change the zoom level.
- Swipe up (3 fingers) to scroll to the top of the conversation, down to scroll to the last message. This saves time when looking for an old messages in the conversation (for example, using the Find feature) and then going back to the display of the most recent messages.
- Twist left or right to select the tab at the left or right of the currently selected tab.
- Swipe left or right (3 fingers) to change the selected tab to the previously selected tab. This gesture is probably the most useful one: it’s very convenient when reading quickly a message in a newly opened tab and then going back to the conversation tab where an active conversation is occurring, or when actively participating in 2 discussions and repeatedly switching between 2 tabs.