At the weekly meeting held on October 31, 2011 plans for Instantbird 1.2 were discussed as well as a summary of what’s happened since the 1.1 release. (Full chat logs are also available, as well as the Etherpad timelime.)
Weekly meetings are held every Monday at 4pm UTC (that’s 6pm for people in France, and 9am for people in San Francisco) in #instantbird on irc.mozilla.org.
What’s Happened Since the 1.1 Release:
- Lots of patches have been reviewed and some new features are in (or soon to be in) the nightly builds.
- Tab complete is now smart about case sensitivity.
- You can now change your status from the tray icon.
- You can now copy the link directly to a tweet.
- Some major changes have been made to the repository to pave the way for large improvements. If you have the code checked out, you should update!
What’s Being Worked On:
- Only show colors of participants who have participated, allowing you to quickly see who’s active! This first patch will keep participants gray until they’ve talked once, look for it in a nightly soon!
- Cleaning up and renaming of the interfaces to make them easier to work with. This is paving stone to making libpurple optional (and only loading protocols when they’re needed).
- Florian will be attending MozCamp Berlin, from November 12th to November 13th, and will be giving a talk on Instantbird, go say “Hi!” if you’ll be attending!
- Lots of user interface (in particular, when using Twitter) “paper cut” bugs! Those annoying bugs that you can live with, but get in your way? Yeah, we don’t like those either.
Ways You Help Out:
There’s a few tasks that we could use help with, if you’re interested in any of these, please contact us. (And if there’s something else you’re interested, let us know about that too!)
- A QA/testing team would help to find regressions and bugs quickly
- Help is needed in organizing the localization effort and keeping them up to date with information.
- Someone to work on making the add-on experience more enjoyable would be appreciated.